Buckethead Bash Forums  

Go Back   Buckethead Bash Forums > Bucket Stuff > Customer Car Builds
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #91
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Talk to BC. I'm sure he uses a fixture when he welds the mounts to the frame. Maybe he has a different mount that will give you the fit you need. I would be hesitant to taking material off the mount to make it fit.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #92
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstock View Post
Talk to BC. I'm sure he uses a fixture when he welds the mounts to the frame. Maybe he has a different mount that will give you the fit you need. I would be hesitant to taking material off the mount to make it fit.
Yep I'm not sure what to do either. No matter what I do I can't get it to line up. Josh gave me the part# for the motor mounts and that's what I picked up. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Mikes27T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #93
B.C.
Super Moderator

Mike it was good talking to you yesterday. I tried calling you this morning and will try again later. I'm going to send you some motor mounts that will work. Should have them out today.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #94
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
Mike it was good talking to you yesterday. I tried calling you this morning and will try again later. I'm going to send you some motor mounts that will work. Should have them out today.
Sorry BC I didn't get your call. I spent last night and this morning in the Emergency room Turns out I have a really bad hernea and now I need surgery. Just landed a good new job a little over a week ago and now I'm going to be down for weeks.
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #95
B.C.
Super Moderator

Bummer... Talk to you later.
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #96
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Great talking with you Bob! Thanks again for your help. You guys are awesome!!!
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #97
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Well got the engine and trans mocked up into the frame. The intake is just set in place. Still have to install the lifters, push rods, and rockers.

Unread 05-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #98
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Looks really nice Mike. Coming along nicely. Did those motor mounts work out ok?
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #99
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Looks really nice Mike. Coming along nicely. Did those motor mounts work out ok?
Thanks! No the original motor mounts I bought didn't work so I called B.C. and talked with him and he sent me a new pair that work fine. All is good now! Thanks Josh and B.C!!
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #100
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Got the radiator mocked up. Still have to shorten the radiator mounts and make them look pretty. Going to get the 32 grille mounted next.

Last edited by Mikes27T; 07-31-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #101
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Lookin good Mike. Those radiators are almost to pretty to use. Whats the distance from the firewall to the back of the radiator. I am thinking about shortening my frame about 4" between the engine mounts and radiator mounts. Lots of room between fan and radiator that can be removed. Best that I can figure, the top of the 32 shell needs to be approximately 1" lower than cowl.
Lee
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #102
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3quarter32 View Post
Lookin good Mike. Those radiators are almost to pretty to use. Whats the distance from the firewall to the back of the radiator. I am thinking about shortening my frame about 4" between the engine mounts and radiator mounts. Lots of room between fan and radiator that can be removed. Best that I can figure, the top of the 32 shell needs to be approximately 1" lower than cowl.
Lee
I am also setting mine up so that the 32 shell should be about 1" lower than the cowl. I don't know off hand the distance from the firewall to the back of the radiator but I will check my notes when I'm back out in the garage tomorrow and let you know. I'm running a Ford engine (Windsor block) and they tend to be longer than Chevy blocks.
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #103
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Lee
Agree Lee, If I were to build my 23 again I would take 3-1/2 to 4" out between the motor mounts and front support. Keep in mind they put all that frame in there for big blocks and blower drives. If someone could come up with a shock mount and incoporate a headlight mount with it like Speedway does on their 23, you could even shorten it a bit more IMHO. One thing I really like is the room behind the engine and firewall, incase you have to pull the tranny and you dont have to pull the body.

It is like it was once said to me, you have to build the same house three times to get it right, why should a hotrod be any different?
Steve
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Unread 08-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #104
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Mocking the grille shell up. Still need to make the aluminum brackets to hold it in place. Starting to look like a Hot Rod now!!! When I first got the grille on last night I had a smile from ear to ear!! LOL In the picture it looks like the shell is higher than the cowl but it is actually just below it.

Unread 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #105
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Looks killer Mike
Keep up the good work, I just came from a rotary club meeting and it had a mini car show, everyone loved the T. Got more than 1300 miles on her and it has been fantastic, still have a few more little bugs to work out but that is the fun of it.
Steve
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #106
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Looks killer Mike
Keep up the good work, I just came from a rotary club meeting and it had a mini car show, everyone loved the T. Got more than 1300 miles on her and it has been fantastic, still have a few more little bugs to work out but that is the fun of it.
Steve
Thanks Steve. I can't wait to put the first mile on my 27!!!
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #107
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Mike, can you loosen off the bolts that hold the mounts to the engine and make them line up? If so, put in the mount to frame bolts, then try tightening the engine bolts back up. Just a thought. With the weight on the mounts with all bolts in, they may settle in.
Lee

Duh,, Sorry Mike, I was on the 3rd page when I read the post about the engine mounts. Just tell me to pay attention next time.

Last edited by 3quarter32; 08-17-2012 at 02:41 PM..
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #108
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Mike, can you loosen off the bolts that hold the mounts to the engine and make them line up? If so, put in the mount to frame bolts, then try tightening the engine bolts back up. Just a thought. With the weight on the mounts with all bolts in, they may settle in.
Lee

Duh,, Sorry Mike, I was on the 3rd page when I read the post about the engine mounts. Just tell me to pay attention next time.

It's ok. Yea I got the engine mounts all worked out then I sold the engine and trans in the pictures above and went with a different setup although they will still use the same engine mounts.

Last edited by Mikes27T; 08-17-2012 at 07:54 PM..
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #109
KCA7
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Agree Lee, If I were to build my 23 again I would take 3-1/2 to 4" out between the motor mounts and front support. Keep in mind they put all that frame in there for big blocks and blower drives. If someone could come up with a shock mount and incoporate a headlight mount with it like Speedway does on their 23, you could even shorten it a bit more IMHO. One thing I really like is the room behind the engine and firewall, incase you have to pull the tranny and you dont have to pull the body.

It is like it was once said to me, you have to build the same house three times to get it right, why should a hotrod be any different?
Steve
I would go with a smaller front spring perch.
KCA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #110
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Almost finished up with running the brake lines. Had a little helper in the garage with me today! I also picked up the Eastwood's Brake line flaring tool and man that thing is awesome! One of the best tools I've ever purchased. Going to finish up with the brake lines so I can get the frame in primer.

Unread 09-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #111
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Lookin good Mike. Good lookin helper you have there also. I used AN3 fittings on my brake lines. I bit the bullet and bought a Rigid flaring tool. It rachets when the flare is finished. You are so right about good tools. I had a cycle shop for 22 years, and had to start off with lesser quality tools for a few months. Finally was able to purchase the "good stuff" and never regretted the extra cost.
Keep up the posts for us, as they are always helpful to gain others ideas. I have been meaning to start a build post but don't have the nerve.
Lee
ps. after looking at your brake lines, I have decided to make a change to mine. I like some of your ideas better.
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #112
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Lookin good Mike. Good lookin helper you have there also. I used AN3 fittings on my brake lines. I bit the bullet and bought a Rigid flaring tool. It rachets when the flare is finished. You are so right about good tools. I had a cycle shop for 22 years, and had to start off with lesser quality tools for a few months. Finally was able to purchase the "good stuff" and never regretted the extra cost.
Keep up the posts for us, as they are always helpful to gain others ideas. I have been meaning to start a build post but don't have the nerve.
Lee
ps. after looking at your brake lines, I have decided to make a change to mine. I like some of your ideas better.
Did you go with the braided brake line also? You should start a build post here on the forum. It's a great way to get idea's and share with others what you are doing. Steve's (SSTOCK) build thread was a big help and I wish it was still here for us to see.
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #113
B.C.
Super Moderator

Mike I love this thread and others like it. I am thinking of ways to get them more exposure.
Unread 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #114
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Got some polished parts today!! Still waiting on the steering wheel though. Anybody have any pictures of how to mount the column drop up under the dash? Not really sure of how to go about it. Looks like this is the next project after I get the brake lines finished. Like everybody else in this economy money is tight right now so it's just nice to be able to keep moving forward on this build.

Unread 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #115
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Mike, I use stainless flex lines front and rear. For my steering drop I used a connecting rod from a 60hp flathead engine. Notched the bottom of the dash, drilled the bar that runs just behing the dash for the drop.
Ya, I should get a build post going on the delivery. I am trying to organize in my feeble mind on how to do it.
Unread 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #116
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes27T View Post
Did you go with the braided brake line also? You should start a build post here on the forum. It's a great way to get idea's and share with others what you are doing. Steve's (SSTOCK) build thread was a big help and I wish it was still here for us to see.
Looks like my thread went out in the garbage with that spammer that was here last month, too bad, I had a ton of work in it, darn spammers-to keep it clean in here, I really didn't say what was on my mind.

Your build is looking really nice and you have great attention to detail.

Oh and btw, I like your little helper, it is always nice to have the little ones in the garage, makes it so much more fun. Learning tools early will always be a plus in life.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut

Last edited by sstock; 09-16-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Unread 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #117
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Brake lines are done now. Ran out of stainless bolts so I had to finish in plain steel but I'll order more for final assembly. I think the lines came out nice. They are all tight to the frame and out of the way. Wires and fuel line will be run inside the frame rail. Next I'm going to mock up the headlight mounts on along with the Trans cooler and then strip everything back off the frame for Primer/paint.

This may not be a super fast build with family, work and everything else going on but I sure am having a blast building it!!!!!

Unread 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #118
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Great job on the brake lines, Mike. Shoulda had you over to do mine. Mine are "ok", but I like the looks of yours better.
Lee
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #119
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Steering column is in. The boy looks like he's ready to grab some gears!! Still have to finish up the steering linkage and put some dimples in for the set screws.

Found out it's pretty hard to get in and out of the drivers side with the column and steering wheel in place even with the column tilted all the way up. The steering wheel in the picture is only being used for mock up so I hope I can find a steering wheel that doesn't have as much dish to it but I'm not sure that will even help. Looks like I'm going to have to get in and out through the pass side.

Last edited by Mikes27T; 10-20-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #120
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

That kiddo is going to be a Hot Rodder some day! He is looking for the shifter already. Post some more on your steering linkage when you get it all in.
Lee